Styling products for curly hair
Styling products are the 4th step in the Curlsmith Method. You should use them after shampoo, conditioner and leave-in conditioner to lock your style in place, define your curls and protect from frizz. There are a lot of different types of styling products, each of which will provide a different level of hold and final look for your curls. You can use a styling product on its own or you can layer multiple stylers together for personalized results.
Why is it important to style curly hair?
Using styling products on your hair is key to unlock your curls’ potential. If you use only a leave-in conditioner it is not enough to protect from frizz: leave-ins will moisturize your hair but will not provide definition. Styling products create a film around the hair shaft that locks curls in place and protects from frizz while drying. This will make your curl pattern more defined and it will ensure your hairstyle can last longer.
Styling cream, foam or gel?
The main difference between styling products for curly hair is their texture. Different product formats deliver different results, so you should think about your hair goals when you choose one. We have three formats - styling cream, styling foam and styling gel:
- Styling creams are great to provide a soft, crunch-free hold, enhancing your curls or waves for a natural-looking style.
- Styling foams are great to provide volume and texture for your curls and waves – think big, sexy beach waves.
- Styling gels are perfect for definition and long-lasting frizz control.
What level of hold should you choose in your styler?
You should choose your styling products based on the results you would like to achieve. All Curlsmith stylers have a handy hold bar indicator that helps you navigate the line. Stronger hold stylers are great to make your curls defined for longer, but they will create a slightly crunchy effect on your curls. This is called ‘cast’, it is totally temporary and nothing to be afraid of! The crunch protects curls from frizz while they are drying, but once your hair is completely dry you can gently scrunch the curls, ideally with the help of an oil, to break the cast and reveal super soft, bouncy curls. The stronger the hold, the stronger the cast, and the higher frizz protection that styling product will provide. If you really don’t like the idea of a little crunch, even if temporary, choose a styling product with a lower hold.
How to pick your styler based on your hair needs
- Once you figure out the format and hold you’re looking for in your styling products, you should consider also your hair needs. Styling products from our Moisture Recipes provide extra hydration and nutrition for dry, thirsty hair, and they’re also great if you are suffering from protein overload.
- Styling products from our Scalp Recipes are super lightweight, they don’t weigh down the hair or accumulate build-up on the scalp.
- Styling products from our Strength Recipes are protein-enriched and they help the hair look and feel stronger – they’re great for higher porosity hair types and perfect if you suffer from moisture overload.
- Styling products from our Shine Recipes are fragrance-free and dermatologically tested, perfect for people with sensitive scalp.
Still not sure where to start to explore our vegan, cruelty free, curly girl friendly range? Try our Curl Quiz to find out the right stylers for your specific needs!